Have you tried the superbands? They have become one of my favorite pieces of equipment! They allow me to do challenging exercises using mostly my own body weight. There are at least a dozen exercises that I have been doing with these but this one consists of 5 exercises done for 2-4 sets to get a whole body workout that can be done anywhere!
This is a great workout to bring with you if you are traveling over the holidays or if you get stuck and can’t make it to the gym.
Warm up for at least 5 minutes by walking, running, elliptical, or jumping jacks or jump rope.
Then do a dynamic warm up. If you are not sure what that is then click here: Dynamic Warm-up
1. Push ups: Place the band around your back and under your hands. This is going to make your push ups harder than before. Therefore if you cannot do at least 15 full push ups than you may be better off just doing regular push ups or modified (on your knees). Don’t feel bad-you’ll improve if you practice! Do as many as you can and then move onto the next exercise.
2. Single Leg Squat: Place the band around something sturdy up above you. I have it looped around a pull up bar. You could use a door and a anchor. The goal of the exercise is to use your legs as much as you can and your arms as little as possible. Try to squat down on one leg until thigh is parallel to the floor then stand back up. Always keep knee in line with ankle and hip and dig through your heel not your toe. Do as many as you can and switch legs.
3. Pull ups: Pulls ups are an amazing exercise! They work so many muscles; back, biceps, abs, shoulders, chest! But they are challenging. The loop can help you perform them with good form even if you think you’ll never be able to. I am using the pull up bar at my studio, but you could use the kind that hang in a doorway. Do as many as you possibly can.
4. Donkey Kicks: Loop the band around your shoe and then hold it under your hands. Keep your toe pointing down and then drive the leg out at hip level to squeeze the glutes (butt muscles). Try for 15-20 repetitions. Then switch legs.
5. Lateral Band Walking: Loop the band under your shoes. Cross the loop then pull up and back to engage your shoulders and back muscles. While keeping the tension in the band try to step to the side for three steps and the to the other side for three steps. Continue side to side for at least a minute. Never let your feet return narrower than hip width. The goal is to work your hips.
Repeat the 5 exercises 2-4 times for a killer workout. You can bring these on vacation or use at home when you can’t make it to the gym or a class. They are cheap and easy to store. NO EXCUSES!