Summer means so many fun things; swimming, hiking, picnics, parties, vacations!
These are all wonderful aspects of summer but some of them can also be detrimentally dangerous to your fat loss, healthy living, or fitness goals! Parties mean booze, unhealthy high calorie dishes, staying out too late, unaccounted for snacking. Whoo sounds like fun! However, they can add up and really add on the fat. So what can we do about it? I want to get us thinking about how we will be strong and stay on track this summer. Have some fun but feel good about staying healthy and fit too! Guess what it takes some planning (I know this is my favorite word).
1. Bring a healthy dish.
Parties can be challenging if you are trying to eat lean. But if you bring a dish that you know is healthy then you can eat mostly this and then choose a few other items. I usually look over the whole table. Pick a lean protein, a low calorie vegetable, and then I decide on my treat. Depends on the party but my preference would be to skip the potato salad (unless it’s my Gramma’s) and have a bit of dessert. This keeps me from feeling deprived while my calories stay within reason and I feel satiated.
2. Encourage people to bring healthy dishes to your parties.
Who makes the dishes to pass? Usually it’s the ladies (not trying to stereotype). Most ladies are attempting to stay healthy. So just put it out there. Everyone will be grateful! Then follow rule number one on the day of!
Arriving famished is usually a disaster. So have a snack so that you can take that second to look over the whole table and make your decisions rationally.
4. Before you even arrive set a goal for Little to no alcohol. Have one beer or glass of wine with dinner and then switch to sparkling water or just water. Bring herbal or green tea so that you have something good to drink while everyone else is guzzling empty calories. Being the designated driver is great way to eliminate alcohol and keep your loved ones safe!
5. Repeat this “They will still love me!” Even if you turn down the 1000 calorie fudge brownies, or the second bratwurst
, or shots of tequilla. Your family and friends will still love you.
6. Include or bring activities to keep guests active; horseshoes, cornhole, hoola hoops, …. Check out pinterest for more.
7. Set a bed time. Sleep plays a vital role in fat loss, exercise recovery, brain function. It’s probably not a big deal to lose a little now and then but if you try to stick to a decent bed time and wake up time your body will thank you!
So what are some techniques that you use? What is your go to healthy dish to bring? What is your splurge?
Please share in the comments so that we can all have healthy and fit fun summer!