With the holidays approaching, I thought it fitting to do a summary of tips from the amazing book, “French Women Don’t Get Fat”. This book was so helpful at putting me back into a balanced and healthy mindset about food. This is not always easy, seeing that I, just like you, am bombarded with events and situations where it’s not always easy to make a good decision. I really recommend reading it as soon as you can, but in the mean time you can get some of the main points here today.
French women are notorious for indulging in rich decadent meals and desserts. However, they have a few tricks that keep them slim and healthy.
1. They make very strategic decisions of what to indulge in. If you know there will be tiramisu at the party and its your all time favorite, then you would skip the appetizers and eat sensibly at dinner. This way you balance out your calories over the course of the evening.
2. French women eat slowly, for pleasure, and therefore have the time to actually feel when their bodies give them the full signals.
3. They eat 3 meals a day.
4. They never allow themselves to get overly hungry, because they have packed snacks for emergencies.
5. French women eat smaller portions, of super high quality foods.
7. French women eat seasonally, which heightens the pleasure associated with ingredients that you can only get during the season.
8. Coffee is only drank at breakfast, maybe at the end of a meal. If you were french you wouldn’t get a vanilla latte every afternoon. It would be an occasional induldgence that you planned into your day so that the rest of your choices created a balance.
9. French women drink lots of water.
10. French women walk everywhere.
11. They take the stairs often.
12. French women do not over-exercise. This can be just as detrimental to your weight loss efforts and not enough. If your body is too stressed out, then it will hold onto fat.
13. They drink great wine and champagne in moderation! This means 1 glass with dinner.
14. French women don’t stress as much as Americans. If it is too much hassle for not enough reward, then they don’t do it.
So take the tips into consideration and remember that if you don’t particularly like something at a party, but you love something else, save your calories.for the items that are really special to you.